Welcome!!!

I am so glad that you have made it to my blog. My name is Rian, and I have been married to my high school sweetheart for 11 years. We welcomed our first child, a beautiful baby girl, in April 2009. In March 2011, we sadly lost our second child to a miscarriage at 10 weeks pregnant. Our son was born in March 2012. This is my blog....the journey through my life with the people that I love.

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Can you see it?!

Ever since Kameron was born I noticed that something was a little different with her. My family could see it but no doctor had been able to. From the time she opened her eyes I noticed that one pupil was bigger than the other. I asked her doctor about it. He said that he didn't see it but that if there was a problem that she would most likely outgrow it. A year went by and I still saw it yet her doctor still didn't see it. I took her to her first eye visit and the eye doctor didn't see it either! 


She turned 2 years old and I still didn't have any answers. In the past 3 months we switched doctors within the pediatric office. Kameron's original doctor was Dr. Guyton but Kameron was terrified of him so we switched to Dr. Delaney. Dr. Delaney is a lot more soft spoken than Dr. Guyton and for a while Kameron did great with him. Finally last week I decided to ask Dr. Delaney if he could see the difference between her eyes and........he could see it! Finally a doctor could see what I had been seeing for 2 years. I don't really remember the term he used to define the issue but I'm pretty sure he called it Anisocoria (I think). He said typically it doesn't cause a problem but on occasion there can be a structural issue with the eye. This means we have to go see a pediatric ophthalmologist. At her appointment she will have her eyes dilated. How in the world are they going to do this?!?! I have no clue. My child is total drama at the doctor's office when they try to look at her ears and throat. I literally have to pin her arms and legs down and hold her head still so the doctor can look at her throat. How in the world am I going to hold her down while they dilate her eyes and look in them?!?!?! I guess I will figure it out. I hope and pray that there isn't anything structurally wrong with her eye because at this point I can't imagine her having surgery....Lord help me...I can't think about it! Until her appointment I will try my best not to worry about something that hasn't even been determined yet....I will try....I swear ;-)


Here is an older picture of Kameron....
in the picture the eye with her the bigger pupil is her left eye (our right). Can you see it?!?!?!

3 comments:

  1. Clearly anisocoria.....no doubt. But it looks like a small enough defect not to be of any concern. 15% of Americans have the same pupil size difference. It's important to recognize it though in case she ever (god forbid) has a head injury because then the ER doc needs to know she normally has 2 different sized pupils (or they will start to freak out!) It rarely is associated with anything wrong.....don't worry mama!! I send all my kiddos with anisocoria for a full ophthalomologic exam too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Chantelle!! She seems to see fine so I don't think that there is a structural issue but it is always better to be safe than sorry. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Subtle, but yes I see it. I hope your appointment with the eye doctor will put all your concerns to rest.

    ReplyDelete