After breastfeeding for so long I had definitely gained some knowledge that the books don't always tell you. Like breastfeeding shouldn't hurt. hahaha. Really? Have you ever had a baby latched to your boob constantly? It is going to hurt, but eventually the pain gets better and goes away. Certain friends knew that I had breastfed for an extended amount of time, and they when they got pregnant or had their baby began to ask me for advice. I gladly shared what advice I had with hopes that they too would be successful in breastfeeding. It was amazing to me that just sharing the experiences and knowledge I had brought me so much happiness.
When I had Landon there was no question in my mind , I knew I would be breastfeeding him as well. I have plans to do extended breastfeeding with him too. The second time breastfeeding was so much easier than the first time. After 5 days there was no more discomfort. I was never engorged. It was awesome. Sure there were and are still some latching issues, but we are working through them.
Through my recent experiences providing advice and help for fellow breastfeeding friends, and through my experiences and joy of breastfeeding, I began to really think about becoming a lactation consultant. Now, I am currently attending school to get my bachelor's in psychology, so wouldn't that just be a waste of my time? No, actually it is a benefit to me if I decide to pursue this career path. I know that if I pursue this career it will be something that I will enjoy and is a passion of mine. I think breastfeeding is wonderful, but I also know that it isn't always possible for everyone. I would love to be able to help people who are struggling with it, to become successful with it. Oh I could just go on and on about it. I just have such a passion for it and for helping people.
So....now the question is....to become a consultant or not?
Thank you for sharing your encouraging story, Rian! I'm so happy it worked so well for you. I imagine it is bittersweet when it comes to an end.
ReplyDeleteWishing you a wonderful Mother's day!
Xoxox
Maria
Thank you so much, Maria! Happy Mother's Day to you as well!! :)
Delete