Welcome!!!

I am so glad that you have made it to my blog. My name is Rian, and I have been married to my high school sweetheart for 11 years. We welcomed our first child, a beautiful baby girl, in April 2009. In March 2011, we sadly lost our second child to a miscarriage at 10 weeks pregnant. Our son was born in March 2012. This is my blog....the journey through my life with the people that I love.

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Delaying Solids

Ever since I became a mom I have been pretty much the one to go completely by the book. If the pediatrician told me to do it, then I was going to do it. I wasn't one to question him because he is after all an expert, right? So, Kameron turned 4 months old, we started cereal and slowly worked our way to solids. She never had any problems.

Ever since Landon was born I have had to do things completely different. We have not gone by the book. A lot of what we did was trial and error with his feeding. But overall he has been completely breastfed except for 3 days where we were trying to give him "gut rest" and get my milk allergy free. For a while I contemplated delaying solids with him. Truth be told, his allergies really make me nervous and I don't want to create any more problems for him than he already has. At his 4 month appointment his pediatrican suggested starting cereal and slowly working our way to solids by 6 months. I figured I would give it a shot. So we tried cereal twice, it just didn't feel right. The first time went okay but Landon still did the tongue thrust really bad when eating. The second time he barely got any in because of his tongue thrust. He would also gag and shudder when he was eating it. I took Landon to see his doctor again and asked about delaying solids. He was complete agreeable to the idea.

So I began to do some more research into the idea of delaying solids. The more research I did the better I felt about my decision in this matter. Newer research is indicating that delaying solids can actually help in the prevention of food allergies. My prayer is that Landon will outgrow his milk and soy allergies. I hope that delaying his solids and giving his intestinal system time to develop will help him overcome his allergies. It may work, it may not, but at least I will be trying.

One thing I do know is that Landon is perfectly happy being exclusively breast fed. And is apparently not lacking in nutrition considering he weighs over 17 pounds now!! Yes in 4 1/2 months he has put on 10 pounds. That is an average of 2 1/2 pounds of weight gain in a month!! The boy is a chunker!

So for now we will continue down our path of breastfeeding and will re-evaluate solids at 6 months old. Between now and then I need to look into making my own baby food. Yeah, I'm going to be one of those moms who makes their own baby food. It just makes sense, I know what is going into it and it will be cheaper in the long run! :-)

*Edit: Here are just a few links that I used to educate myself. Feel free to read the articles. :-)

http://voices.yahoo.com/why-delay-solids-until-baby-6-months-old-179752.html?cat=25

http://kellymom.com/nutrition/starting-solids/delay-solids/

http://www.analyticalarmadillo.co.uk/2011/02/starting-solids-can-babies-be-ready.html

2 comments:

  1. i think it sounds like a wonderful plan. i have a few friends who delayed a bit. i totally support you! :)

    ReplyDelete